From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 20:25:59 CDT

Hi Axel,
  I don't have a quick answer for 1) yet, but 2) is actually
an easy one, there's an example script that does almost precisely what
you have in mind, though one would need to write the appropriate code to
feed it with the ramachandran histogram data you have in mind:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/3Dgraph/
If you can generate your histogram quickly enough in a script, then all of
this can be done without the need for external binaries.

Let me think about what to do for 1) a bit more and I'll get back to you
on that one.

  John