From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2019 - 20:48:13 CDT

Hi,
  There's nothing wrong.

Windows uses _only_ dynamically loaded plugins.

Linux has two mechanisms for loading plugins, whereas Windows
can only use the dynamic approach. This is a historic feature
that is unique to the Unix versions of VMD that dates back to
previous generation Cray supercomputers that were incapable of
doing dynamic loading of shared libraries.

To overcome the OS limitation on these Cray systems, we developed
a scheme that allows the Unix/Linux versions of VMD to use both
static linking and runtime dynamic loading of plugins.

By default Linux VMD builds use static linking for plugins that
have no special external library dependencies, but for various
reasons it is better force the use of dynamic linking in cases
with tricky dependencies, so that's why you see two or three
that load dynamically in most recent VMD versions.

Best,

So, although the numbers you see reported are quite different

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/