From: Paweł Kędzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2021 - 04:30:29 CDT

W dniu 14.07.2021 o 09:00, Stefan Ivanov pisze:
> Dear VMD users,
>
> I want to load a PDB that has multiple states that have different
> numbers of atoms. The atoms are, in fact, pseudoatoms, so the first
> error I came across was "Exceeded maximum number of bonds (12)." I
> found a workaround in an old post on the mailing list:
>
> https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/14220.html
>
> However, when I load the pdb, I only see one frame, rather then the
> real number of frames in the multimodel PDB.

VMD will not read models differing in the number or atoms. You will have
to split your PDB file into separate files, one for every state, and
load them as separate molecules. If you work on Unix, you can do this
using awk (but copy&paste in any text editor is enough):

awk '/^ENDMDL/{n++};/^(ATOM|HETATM)/{out=sprintf("state_%3d.pdb", n+1); print >> out}' your_multimodel_file.pdb

In VMD terminal, the separate files can be easily loaded all at once in
a loop like this:

foreach state [glob state_*.pdb] {mol new $state}

Then you can use two plugins to achieve what you want, one for cloning
the representations from one molecule to all the others and another for
multi molecule animation to step from one state to another. See this email:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/33024.html

Good luck,

Pawel