From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 18:04:21 CST

Hi,
  If you've got anything but the most recent ATI cards (which I actually
haven't had a chance to test yet) you will not be able to use the GLSL
features in VMD. The older ATI cards didn't support many of the features
of GLSL that VMD uses, so they either fail to compile the shaders, or they
(in some cases) will end up emulating the missing features in software which
is too slow to be usable. I have tested on a Radeon 9800, and even that
generation of cards is somewhat challenged by the GLSL shaders in VMD.
I'm not familiar with the FireGL "T2" Mobility graphics chipset you're
using, but presumably it's got limitations that prevent it from running
the shaders as well, or else the driver you're using does. Your best bet
is to first make sure that you're using the most recent ATI driver,
and if that's the case, there's not much more you can really do. At present
there aren't many laptop chipsets that can really do full GLSL shading.
Let me know if you need more help with this.