From: Marc Petitmermet (petitmermet_at_mat.ethz.ch)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2006 - 06:13:18 CDT

I have this strange error upon starting vmd 1.8.4 (or 1.8.4b11) and
fully patched Fedora Core 5:

  Tk startup error: this isn't a Tk applicationunkown color name "Black"
  Could not read the vmd initialization file -
    source {/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl}
  can't invoke "wm" command: application has been destroyed
  The VMDDIR environment variable is set by the startup
  script and should point to the top of the VMD hierarchy.
  VMD will continue with limited functionality.
  invlid command name "vmd_load_extension_packages"

I did not have this problem with test 3 of Fedora Core 5 and the
vmd-1.8.4b11. Something must have been changed. I used the standard
installation procedures (unpack; ./configure; cd src; make install);
vmd files from earlier installations, if any, were removed before the
installation. FC5 contains tk-8.4.12-1.2 and tcl-8.4.12.-4.

When starting /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX I get first the error:

  Tcl startup error: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
directories:
  (here comed a list of directories that do not exist in FC5)

and then the same error message as mentioned before.

How can I fix this problem? Am I missing something in my installation?

Regards,
Marc