From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 18 2010 - 22:18:28 CDT

Rob,
  This does not cause any crash when I try it locally.
Try running VMD with "vmd -debug" with your normal LANG
setting and do a stack traceback in gdb. If you can get
a traceback, we can figure out what is going wrong there.
My guess is that this is most likely an issue with Tcl,
or a difference in the behavior of your C runtime library's
internationalization functionality vs. RHEL4. What distribution
are you running?

Cheers,