From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 13:43:53 CDT

Dear Shanti,
  While VMD doesn't (yet) directly read DL_POLY files, I know that
various people have done conversions to PDB or XYZ file formats in order
to view their structures in VMD. I'm not presently certain how they did
did, as the version of Babel that I have doesn't do that conversion, but
I suspect that there are utilities for DL_POLY which will convert the
file formats for you. The new version of VMD will read XYZ files
directly, so if you can convert to that format you should be able to
load it with VMD 1.8.1. I'll see if we can get a DL_POLY file reader
plugin written this summer, that may make this process much easier.
If you have any example DL_POLY files you can provide us, that would
make it easier for us to test a DL_POLY file reader plugin.

I'd suggest sending a note to the authors of DL_POLY regarding
file format conversion if nobody else on VMD-L has any suggestions.
I looked in the DL_POLY manual briefly but didn't see any useful tips.

Their home page appears to be here:
  http://www.dl.ac.uk/TCSC/Software/DL_POLY/

Thanks,