From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2011 - 08:27:52 CST

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Jervis Chu <nxchu_at_foxmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Kohlmeyer,
>
> Thanks for your kind reply. All done well for water molecules, but nothing
> happened on the XYZ file I mentioned. This really puzzled me.

a-ha. well, the first column of your .xyz file has the label
1 which VMD (or rather the molfile plugin for .xyz files)
will interpret as hydrogens, which are treated special.

in general using the .xyz file format is a bad thing, since
it contains so little information about your system.

you can, however, add information back by using VMD scripting.
e.g. if you want to turn those atoms to carbon atoms:

set mol [molinfo top]
set sel [atomselect $mol all]
$sel set name C
$sel set element C