From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 20:42:33 CST

Hi,
  If you want to make a movie that contains a trajectory playback,
you will need to first set the movie type appropriately by selecting
the Movie Settings->Trajectory menu item. By default the movie maker
makes a movie that just rocks and rolls the current frame, unless you
set it to one of the other movie types. You should also ensure that
if you're using the default "Snapshot" renderer mode, that your
screen saver does not engage during the period while the movie is being
renderered, otherwise it may interfere with the OpenGL image capture.
When making a trajectory movie, the trajectory animation controls
in the main VMD window should be stopped (not actively) playing at
the point when you start the movie maker.

Let us know if you need more assistance with this.
If this doesn't solve your problem, we'll need more details about
what version of VMD you are using.

Cheers,
  John