From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 10:09:54 CDT

No, it wouldn't be too hard at all. The hardest part is just building VMD,
but the documentation for that has improved substantially recently. Get
a CVS account, download the source code (both vmd and plugins), and have a
look at any of the py_xxx.C files as well as Measure.[Ch], which contains
VMD's code for doing RMS fitting.

For RMS fitting through the Tcl interface you wouldn't have to write very
much new code. The User's Guide has some examples you can cut and paste
from, and there's also a new Extensions menu in the latest pre-release
versions that help with structure alignment as well. You may want to take
a look at those before you plow ahead with writing extension code.

Cheers,
Justin

--
  Justin Gullingsrud        3111 Beckman Institute        217-244-8946
  I been dropping the new science, and I be kicking the new knowledge,