From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2015 - 10:09:40 CDT

Hi,
  When you load your volumetric map, what does VMD say about the
data range? When you first load your map, I would expect you to see
something like this:
  Info) Analyzing Volume...
  Info) Grid size: 169x136x138 (48 MB)
  Info) Total voxels: 3171792
  Info) Min: 0.000000 Max: 3.071364 Range: 3.071364
  Info) Computing volume gradient map for smooth shading

The "Min: xxxx" value is the part of interest if you're not seeing any
isosurface when you use a negative isovalue. What is the minimum value
in your dataset?

Cheers,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/