From: Cojocaru,Vlad (vlad.cojocaru_at_eml-r.villa-bosch.de)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 14:01:07 CST

Dear VMD users,
   Trying to setup my home computer, I am experiencing all sorts of strange things when working with vmd. Aside from the MSMS problem that I reported before (which is not nice because Surf is much slower and representing volumetric data is very nice with MSMS), now I have again the same old IED problem (or actually Python problem). Before (on my office computer), I solved this problem by using vmd 1.8.2 and installing locally in the user directory Python 2.2.3 and Numeric 22.0 (as I reported sometime ago). However, on my home computer this does not work because there are several problems:

1. vmd 1.8.2 doesnt work (after successfull make install the gui doesnt start and vmd crashes)
2. If I separately install Python 2.2.3 and Numeric 22.0 in my home dir, this python interferes somehow with the python2.4 (which is installed on my system) such as that i cannot properly run neither of them. If I uninstall the Python2.2.3 from my home directory, I can use again the python 2.4.
3. Using the pre-compiled python libraries from the VMD site doesnt help at all

So, after 1 day of work on these problems, I found no solution. The problem is that I know that for many people vmd+ied setup works fine (even) independent of Python or Numeric versions. I am wondering whether this is magic or there is a trick which could solve these problems... If anybody has any ideas, I promise a drink :)).

For information:
My computer has a AMD64 CPU (Athlon 3500+ with SuSE Linux 10.0 running on it, python 2.4 and Numeric 24 are installed and there is no error if I command under python interpreter import _tkinter or import Tkinter or import Numeric

Cheers
vlad