From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 13:30:55 CST

Hi,
  There aren't any commands to query the necessary Euler angle rotations
to yield the current view in VMD, because VMD doesn't store the orientation
as Euler angles, but rather as a concatenated rotation matrix resulting from
all of the rotations up to that point (for better or worse...)
You can query and set the active rotation matrix, and there are some more
example scripts that do things of this sort:
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/view_change_render/

If you just want to be able to save/restore a particular view in VMD,
you might find it much easier just to use the File->Save State and
File->Load State menu items for this purpose.