From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 16:41:02 CDT

Hi,
  Several people have asked for a Win32 VMD built with Python, Tkinter,
Numeric etc. This has been a tricky issue, as I ran into quite a few
problems building Python on Windows in the way that people need it
for use with VMD. I was able to build Python itself from source without
too much difficulty, but Numeric was not at all happy being compiled and
installed into the resulting python library.

For Windows specifically, it may be necessary for me to create a special VMD
build that links against a specific Python binary distribution, and then
users would have to install that Python version along with the special VMD
build in order to get it to work. I gave that a shot previously but even had
trouble getting that to link correctly due to differences in the Python and
VMD linkage models used. I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise a time
for this since I've had a go at it and run into untenable problems before.