From: Marcos Sotomayor (sotomayo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 00:02:47 CDT

Hi Margaret,

psfgen will build segments of your protein using a topology file which
defines different residues and patches. The usual CHARMM topology file
assumes standard protonation states for residues labeled ASP (-), GLU (-),
ARG (+), and LYS (+). There are three options for histidine and you
need to choose one of them (HSE, HSD or HSP, you may want to see the
first chapter of the NAMD tutorial). There are several options for the
termini too (charged and uncharged, etc.), which can be selected through
patches (which can also be used to protonate ASP and GLU, see the
patches PRES ACP, CTER, CT1, ASPP and GLUP in the CHARMM topology file
provided by VMD).

hope that helps!
Marcos