From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 23:01:06 CDT

Arturas,
  In theory there is. I've previously build a VMD with minimal Python, but
it lacked Numeric and tkinter, which made it unusable for the purposes
that most people have in mind. I'm planning to try again with the new
versions and see if I can get past that problem. Depending on how that
plays out, I may have a separate Python build of VMD which links against
a specific Python version/installation. If you have MSVC6 or the new
Visual Studio compilers on your own machine and a cygwin install, you can
compile VMD from source and link it against your existing Python installation,
though you'll have fun getting FLTK, Tcl, and Python all compiled with the
same runtime library settings etc. My previous attempt was aimed at
eliminating the need for dependencies against a specific Python installation,
but that may not end up being practical, and it may be that the only
reasonable way to get it done is to tie the VMD build against a specific
Python binary distribution. I'll be trying this again after the main
release of VMD 1.8.4, along with some other experimental builds of
VMD 1.8.4 against various Python libraries to solve some of the problems
that people have had on other platforms as well.