From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 10:09:35 CDT

Dear Sean,
  The rules for re-using our source code are covered in the VMD/NAMD
licenses. The normal VMD/NAMD licenses say the following:

[lots of other important text that you need to read closely ommitted...]
Licensee may redistribute without restriction works with up to 1/2 of their
non-comment source code derived from at most 1/10 of the non-comment source
code developed by Illinois and contained in the Software, provided that the
above directions for notice and acknowledgement are observed.
[lots of other important text that you need to read closely ommitted...]

So, you can use up to 10% of the NAMD/VMD source code in your own programs
with the default VMD/NAMD license, as long as you follow the acknowledgement
and other rules the are described in the license text. If you have
something else in mind, that would require a special VMD or NAMD license
of some sort.

Thanks,