From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2021 - 22:52:35 CST

Hi,
  VMD itself doesn't set the current working directory during startup, so it
inherits whatever working directory the launching shell (whether graphical,
or text based) had set when the VMD process is created. I'm not sure why
the new ARM64 Macs (Apple "M1" etc) would behave differently in this
respect, but I can tell you that many other changes have been made to the
latest versions of MacOS, and it could simply be that the default process
working directory has now been set as part of the new OS behavior.

I'm currently traveling and away from the Mac Mini M1 test machine I've
been working with, but I'll try and dig into this question further
when I return home in early January.

If other M1 Mac users have any comments about their experiences with this
behavior and VMD, and/or with any other applications, I'd be curious to
hear if they see the same or similar issues.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/